Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

50 Followers Blogfest!!

After a year of blogging, I have reached over fifty followers (52 at the time of this post). I cannot tell you how awesome or special that makes me feel. Over fifty people subscribe to my blog to read my ramblings. I have regular comments on my posts, and an awesome group of followers. 

This is slightly surreal to me, since I am not used to anyone outside of close friends and my Mom wanting to read what I've written. I cannot thank each and every one of my awesome followers enough for taking time out of their busy lives to read my posts. You guys rock!

So in honor of your awesomeness, I am hosting a blogfest! I thought it would be fun (and easy for those of you who are busy) if we posted an excerpt of our old work. It can be something from your diary when you were 12 or your last trunked manuscript. It could be a poem you wrote in fourth grade for your Mom, or a fanfiction you wrote as a teenager.

The beauty of this is you don't have to come up with something new. All you have to do is find something you wrote previously, and post it. This should be done in the spirit of fun and humor, and is not an excuse to berate yourself for your failings. I think we need some perspective sometimes on how far we've come as writers. It feels like we're not making progress. We write, produce a manuscript, query, rejection, and then the process starts over.

We feel like publication will be the validation that we are improving, we are getting better. Or if you're already published, you want a bigger advance. A prestigious award. We need some outward sign that we really are getting better.

And you are. By the simple process of continuing on through the doubt and insecurity your writing skills are getting better. It's just hard to see the forest for the trees sometimes. 

So! On April 1st (because really, why not?) we are all going to post an excerpt, short story, or poem, from an earlier work. Me personally, I plan to find the most awful piece of drek of mine that I can find. And that's going to be hard to top, considering my last offering for this sort of public humiliation



Sign up below and let the words fly!


50 Followers Blogfest!


5 comments:

  1. I have topped 50 recently and should party with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 50! If you haven't been to my blog in a bit, you should mosey over for some news... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I need to jump back into the blogfest ring. This sounds like one I can handle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desert Rocks: Yes you should! Drop me a line when you know what you're doing!

    Other other Elizabeth: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

    Charity: Yay! I am so happy you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cograts on the followers, and your blog fest is pure awesome, I'm off to go post some juicy tidbit from my past now....

    ReplyDelete