Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Gasp! A Saturday Post!



I normally don't post on the weekends, mostly because my busy days are on the weekend, and no one wants to hear the insane ramblings of me after three or four clients. 

But! I thought about making a Western song list, and that seems like a weekend-ish sort of post.

Before I dazzle you with my list of awesomeness, allow me to direct you in the direction of Joe's equally awesome post on a neat middle ground between writing by the seat of your pants, and outlining your story: Wash Your Pants


It's an option I've only heard of before, but I actually haven't tried it. Mostly because I would probably plan more events out than is strictly necessary for this method. Go read the post! It's interesting!


Onward with the list!


This is a list of really cool songs that make me think of a western setting. No, not country music, where the guy sings about how his wife left him and his truck and dog died...I mean a western. Like, Clint Eastwood and outlaws and guns! Also, post-apocalyptic westerns in the vein of Mad Max, where the world is a desolate wasteland and there's NOTHING for miles and miles, and you might get ambushed by marauding bandits at any moment, and water is something worth killing over.


Yes. THAT sort of western... 


*Bad Company by Bad Company

*Hurt by Jonny Cash. He covered NIN's Hurt and it is EPIC WIN!!!!!!!!

*Patience and Civil War by Guns and Roses

*Ghost Riders in the Sky by the Outlaws. Oooooo! Oooooo! I love this song SO MUCH! 

*Bon Jovi *Yes, I will just mention his name, and not a particular song. Just about everything he sings about relates to being a cowboy. See: Blaze of Glory, Wanted Dead or Alive, Two Story Town, One Wild Night, These Days...the list continues. If you see Bon Jovi as the artist, you can safely add it to any western mix. Promise. Even the romantic songs have a vaguely western feel.

*Renegade by Styx. This is a CLASSIC.

*Black Velvet by Alannah Myles

*The Eagles *they too deserve their own slot. See: Hotel California, Desperado, Take It Easy, Tequile Sunrise, the list goes on...

*Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria. Ooohh this song gives me shivers, every time!

*Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind by Kansas

*Shame on the Moon by Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band.

*Bravado by Rush. I LOVE this song!




*Gimme Back My Bullets and Tuesday's Gone by Lynard Synard. This band is another treasure trove for western mood music. 

*Where Have All the Cowboys Gone? by Paula Cole

*When the Stars Go Blue by the Corrs

*Black Bob and Lonely Road of Faith by Kid Rock...okay, and "Cowboy". Even though the rock rapping thing gets on my nerves sometimes. He also does a good cover of "Feel Like Making Love"

*Joker by Steve Miller Band

*Magic Man by Heart. Before you tell me it doesn't fit, listen to those guitar riffs again and tell me you can't see that being sung in a saloon.

*Hair of the Dog by Nazareth 

*Rain by Patty Griffin

*Turn the Page, covered by Metallica

*Ain't No Rest for the Wicked by Cage the Elephant

*Daylight Again, Helpless, and Wasted On the Way by Crosby, Stills, and Nash

*How Far We've Come by Matchbox 20

*Dancing in the Ruins by Blue Oyster Cult


*My Hero, Everlong, and Times Like These by Foo Fighters. The sound of the songs aren't exactly what you think of when someone says "western" but the themes of the songs always makes me think of cowboys.


*Electric Worry by Clutch

*Rack 'em Up, Lie to Me, pretty much everything by Jonny Lang


*Pride and Joy, Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughn






Okay, I could go on...really, I love music almost as much as I love books. So there you go!


I have tried to refrain from adding country western music stars on this list, even though I have a few in my playlist, mostly because it's too easy. It fits by definition, even though I don't particularly like most country western music.


If Westerns really make you happy, here's a great list Joe made for his top favorite Westerns:


Top Westerns


Also, feel free to add your favorite Western/Post apocalyptic songs in the comments. I am always on the hunt for more music that I can destroy worlds to.

*thanks to wikicommons for the pictures of Australia to set the mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment