Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Hello out there!

Hello all out there in cyberspace! It’s nice of you to stop by. No, really, it is. Sometimes writing it like talking to yourself in an empty room, so it’s nice when people actually read your musings. Keeps you out of the loony bin, and it’s much easier to have a conversation with other people around, in my humble opinion.

I should introduce myself. My name is Elizabeth Poole, and I am a writer.

No, before you rush off to the bookstore to buy my latest stand alone novel, or the next novel in my sprawling, epic, groudbreaking series (but thank you, kind soul, thank you), I am not the published kind of author. Yet. I know, I know, it’s an oversight I am working on fixing. Namely, I am stalking agents, authors, and publishers on the internet, reading every book and article about writing I can get my ice mittens (an affectionate term my fiancé and I refer to my hands as) on, and writing. Lots and lots of writing. And some editing too, since it’s kinda hard to sell a rough draft.

I am currently in the process of editing what will be the first book I start to shop around and try to get people to represent, and then buy. I have written tons of stuff over the years: poems, and short stories, and novels, and things that were certainly LONG enough to be novels, but had no clear ending, but I have never been able to make it all the way through the process. Think of a book. Develop book. Write book. Edit book. Query book. Land Awesome Agent. Awesome agent sells book. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Right now I am at the ‘Edit book’ stage, and it’s coming along nicely. It was harrowing in the beginning, but I think I am starting to make sense of what I was trying to say. I am also working on the query letter, so that way I have something closer to ready when I am ready to send the book out.

I have always wanted to be a writer. My mother tells me that when I was little I wanted to be a “doctor-nurse-dentist”, but that dream quickly changed to writing when I discovered that real, live PEOPLE wrote the books that I read so frequently. Around tenth grade I realized the Hard Truths about writing, and decided I needed a day job to support my writing habit, so after high school I became a massage therapist. I know, strange profession for a writer. But I didn’t want to be a journalist, and though I LOVE teaching, I saw how much goes into it.
I wanted a job I could leave at the office, so to speak, so when I came home I still had energy for my writing. It’s worked out well; I am a licensed Neuromuscular therapist, and work at a posh spa. I get to help people feel better and relax, the hours are flexible, and I meet all kinds of interesting people.

I write mostly urban/high fantasy, but I have ideas that dabble in all genres. I have a fascination for the supernatural elements, but love a good, well plotted, well characterized mainstream fiction novel, so my books wind up reading like hybrid between Real People doing Real People things, with a splash of magic and faeries.

I love to read, and some of my favorite authors, in no order are: Stephen King (read just about everything that man has written), Jim Butcher, Neil Gaiman, Janet Evanovich, Holly Lisle, and a bunch of others I am probably forgetting about right now, but I will wake up in the middle of the night and remember, and thus feel guilty for ever forgetting about how their book touched me, and neglecting to mention them on my blog.

But enough about me, what about you?

2 comments:

  1. The students are recommended to cover the entire syllabus of all the subjects of SSLC class 10 to score good marks in the exams. A student needs to score an aggregate of 35% of the total marks to clear the SSLC Class 10 exam. There is also a provision of practical examination for the Class 10 students to analyse further the depth Karnataka SSLC Syllabus 2021-2022 of their knowledge about the fundamental topics. However, the practicals are conducted only for Junior Technical School (JTS) and music students. Emphasising more on the fundamental principles of learning and focusing on the interrelationship of both mental as well as theoretical knowledge, Karnataka Secondary Education Examination Board (KSEEB) has made a coherent syllabus for Karnataka SSLC Class 10.

    ReplyDelete